1 April 2009

closed uni




In the context of the G20 Summit, my university was supposed to host an alternative meeting. But following the police and media publicity regarding potential chaos in the city of London, the management of my uni have decided to close down all of the campuses completely, cancel lectures, close libraries and other facilities. Consequently, the university withdrew its support for the alternative summit.

I think this is absolutely unacceptable for several reasons!!! First, it is educational institutions, such as universities, that should make debates, disputes and alternative visions possible. I have always thought that universities hold the most power to influence what our future generations think... Clearly, I have been wrong...

Second, this act shows that we are losing (now more than ever, I think) fundamental, democratic freedom to free speech while we should be at the front of social change, we should face the transformations and openly talk about them...

Third, I have not agreed to any of the actions undertaken by the management of my uni and their decision to cancel lectures has been made against the will of many students and staff members. As a postgraduate student, I pay a lot of money to study for a Master’s Degree. I am just wondering whether the university will be as enthusiastic to refund my tuition fees for the lost teaching time as they were eager to close the campuses...

No comments:

Post a Comment