2 December 2009

Dreams In Tatters...

I knew it would happen eventually but I didn't know it would happen in an overcrowded train on the Central Line in London...

I was on my way back home from work. It was 6pm and even though the tube was pretty crowded, I was one of those few lucky ones who was able to sit down. I was listening to Sounds Of The Universe - the latest Depeche Mode record. With headphones tightly covering my ears, I completely forgot about the whole world and, most importantly, about the fact that I was surrounded by dozens of commuters not necessarily listening to music on their own ipods... I was so withdrawn and disconnected from everything around me that I didn't even realise I was singing In Sympathy along with the band's frontman, Dave Gahan. Out loud...

I suddenly became aware that someone was looking at me and smiling. Politely, I smiled back. Then I saw another person gazing at me and then another one and another one... Can you imagine the embarrassment appearing on my face when I finally realised why people were watching my with strange smiles (read: grins) on their faces... I think my cheeks became as red as they possibly could... Feeling abashed, I turned off the ipod immediately. I heard someone saying something like "Nice voice but please don't sing anymore" with a sarcastic tone... Just great... Judging from people's faces, I had a feeling that nobody really appreciated my vocal skills... And I had seriously considered changing my career and becoming an international diva next year... my dreams were left in tatters...

No comments:

Post a Comment